Students working in a group (c) Jonas Kron

Advisory Services for Students with Disabilities or Chronic Illnesses

Free, individual consultation is offered confidentially upon arrangement; most services are part of the already existing advisory service network at THWS. Advisors are happy to support prospective and current students affected by mental health issues, chronic somatic illnesses, visual impairment or vision loss, physical disabilities, hearing disabilities as well as speech impediments; all of them are aware of affected students’ specific concerns.

Academic Advisory Service

As the central advisory service at THWS, the Academic Advisory Service has also offers for disabled or chronically ill students. The following advisory services are specifically designed to cater the needs of disabled or chronically ill persons:

  • Student finance and financing additional needs
  • Options for action when problems in the course of studies arise due to disabilities or illnesses
  • Social participation in university life
  • Accessibility and usability of buildings and facilities
  • Support in the procurement of (medical, technical) aids
  • Information regarding accessible housing and for persons with mobility needs

Arrangement of contacts to local services and institutional help (nursing care, rehabilitation and integration assistance)

Officer for Students with Disabilities or Chronic Illnesses

Beyond the Academic Advisory Service, questions and consultation requests can be sent to the Officer for Disabled Students per e-mail: studierenmitbehinderung[at] As far as possible, the available advisory services at THWS should first be contacted. The Officer for Disabled Students consults the examination board in all matters concerning students with disabilities or chronic illnesses and provides statements on request. Among them are particularly:

Programme advice

The decentral Programme Advice offers programme-related information and advice to students. In general, students with disabilities or chronic illnesses can get advice also from their programme advisors. In all advisory areas, additional consultation needs can arise due to disability or illness which have to be met by the advisors of the respective degree programme. Among others, this applies to

  • the preparation of individual study plans
  • consultation regarding excursions, internships and periods abroad

Advice when dropping out of university (Drop-out Advice)

On average, students with disabilities or chronic illnesses stay one semester longer at higher education institutions than students without a disability or healthy students. Additionally, a severe impairment leads to an increased discontinuity during studies (cf. Middendorf, e. et al, 2012, p 461ff). In that, the Drop-Out Advice plays a central role and it is fully aware of the higher strain on affected students.

Department of Student Affairs (HSST) and THWS Examination Board

When a disabled or chronically ill students applies for a compensation for disadvantages, the Department of Student Affairs forwards this application to the University’s examination board. The board has to formally check the application for possibilities to grant compensation. Additionally and in cooperation with the Academic Advisory Service, students are offered advice related to the commencement of studies.

External Advisory Services in Würzburg and Schweinfurt

In addition, students with disabilities or chronic illnesses have the possibility to receive external advice: 

*web page is available in German only, please check if counselling and advice is provided in English